Friday, June 10, 2011

Bud, Not Buddy - Book 10

For the past two years, I have heard two of my co-workers talk about how much they love Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis.  Finally, I took some time, today, to read it, and I'm so glad that I did.  This book is about a ten year old boy, Bud, struggling to find his father, during the Great Depression.  His mother died four year ago, and he has been living in an orphanage ever since.  Bud, has a hunch about who his father might be, but no other information.  Since he has no other family he decides to follow that hunch and walk 120 miles to find his father, that does not know Bud exists.  


I have always been infatuated by stories of the Great Depression.  My grandparents have told me stories of eating lard sandwiches. Also of their parents having to hide money in random places in the house, because they didn't trust the banks. The stories that I have heard, I'm sure, can't even begin to describe the hardship that people suffered.  This story touches on the beginning of unions, and how the government was opposed to unions.  It also describes some of the hardships African Americans had to face, during the Great Depression.  Reading stories, like this one, in which some of the characters were based around real people, makes me stop to appreciate what I have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment