Tuesday, June 7, 2011

See You Later, Gladiator

On to book six of my Book-A-Day Challenge...See You Later, Gladiator by Jon Scieszka.  This is the 9th book in the Time Warp Trio book series.  I stumbled upon this book, in a pile of free books in the teacher's lounge.  I have never read any of the Time Warp Trio books, so I was hesitant to start with one in the middle of the series.  However, it's one of those books that you can pick up, no matter what order in the series, and follow along with all of the action.  

This book is about three boys that are transported back in time to fight Roman Gladiators.  There is a magical book (that I would probably know more about if I had read previous books in the series) that when opened to a certain page, produces a green mist and transports the trio to the same time period as the picture on the page. To return to present day, the trio must find the book somewhere in Rome (the time period in this particular book).  While they are looking for the book they must attempt to win a fight against Roman Gladiators.  

This book made me think of the book George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff.  I enjoyed how both of the books put a twist on history.  George Washington's Socks was more in depth and full of more thought provoking action.  See You Later, Gladiator didn't provide as many true events and was a more simple read.  I plan on reading the rest of the Time Warp Trio books, to see how they compared to book nine in the series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment