Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Birthday Room - Book 8

I should have read my book eight, yesterday, for my birthday.  For my eighth book I read The Birthday Room by Kevin Henkes.  Ben, who just turned 12 years old, received two gifts for his birthday - a room and a letter. The letter was from his estranged Uncle Ian, who he had not seen since he was two years old.  Ben and his mom go to visit his Uncle Ian, despite some hesitation from his mom.  Everything changes for Ben when he is visiting his uncle.  He learns that no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something worse going on for someone else in life.    

This book was a quick, simple read, for me.  For anyone with inner-family issues (and who doesn't have those), after reading this book you might rethink grudges that are being held.  There I times, when I believe it is okay to break ties and say it's in the best interest of everyone, to not speak.  However, there are other times when I feel that grudges truly are a misunderstanding, and talking through the issue is the best way to a positive solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment