Monday, June 6, 2011

The Titan's Curse

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan was book #5, for my Book-A-Day Summer 2011 Challenge.  I would like to thank a student, Ryan, for introducing me to Percy Jackson and the Olympians.   Percy Jackson is a boy with dyslexia and ADHD.  At the beginning of the first book, of the Percy Jackson series, (The Lightning Thief) Percy discovers that he is a half-blood.  His mom is a mortal and his dad is one of the Greek gods.  The majority of the main characters are people from Greek mythology, which makes it easier for me, a Greek mythology lover, to follow. 


The Titan's Curse is the third out of five books, in this series.  In each book, so far, Percy has had to go on a quest to help prevent something terrible from happening.  Atlas is the main villain in this book, of the series.  Atlas has always been one of my favorite characters, in Greek mythology, which is probably why I couldn't put this book down.  Percy and his friends are sent on a quest to help save a friend, from the Titan god.  Before the quest begins the oracle predicts a sad ending for Percy and his friends.  Knowing that the oracle is never wrong, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the ending.  


Throughout this book, Percy has to defy authority to stand up for friends.  I believe this is a very noble trait.  In real-life, there are many people who will tell you that they side with you, but they do not have the courage to stand up for you, when the pressure is on.  Percy is not afraid to tell anyone how he really feels, no matter if they are a Greek god or the person wanting to kill him, for the sake of saving his friends.  The amount of respect that I have for a person that is willing to do whatever it takes, to stand up for what they believe is right, is indescribable.

No comments:

Post a Comment